Secret Memory |
History of Life |
- BIOGRAPHY -
1420 45th St., #35
Emeryville, CA 94608
Born in Osaka, Japan
1997 * Secret Memory: The metaphor for the brain interaction in the three worlds. (Internet Art)
1992 * Virtual Reality Event, "Renaissance Perspective"
VR MUSEUM: Collaboration work with Carnegie Mellon University.
1985 * "Randrum" (Video In-Road), Multimedia Performance (Directed design and composed music) at Theater Artaud, San Francisco, CA
1985 * "Who from Where" Multimedia Performance (Directed design and composed music) at St. Andrews Church, Marin City, CA
1984 * "Noh One Knows," Multimedia Performance (Directed design and composed music) at Outside Theater, Fort Cronkite Beach, Marin,CA
1983 * Solo Music Concert (invitation), University of California, Santa Cruz,CA
* "A Zone of Silence" (Directed design and composed music), Laser Beam Theater at Kala Institute, Berkeley, CA
1982 * "Ankoku Buto Theater" Multimedia Performance, Designed, and composed music at Natoma Street Theater, San Francisco, CA
* Sound Design for " Four Visions in Printmaking & Dance". Kala Institute, Berkeley, CA
California Arts Council, National Endowment for the Arts, Fleishhaker Foundation.
S.H Cowell Foundation, Marin Inter Arts, Kala Institute
SOLO EXHIBITIONS (Painting, Printmaking, Books)
1985 * Painting and Works on Paper, Vorpal Gallery, San Francisco, CA
1984 * Painting & Drawings, Primary Color Gallery, Sacramento, CA
* Painting & Drawings, Vorpal Gallery, San Francisco, CA
1982 * Printmaking, Miriam Perlman Gallery, Chicago, IL
* Printmaking, Galerie Autonon, Berlin, West Germany
1981 * Light Sculpture on paper, Bridge Gallery, San Francisco, CA
* Evolution of Light,íƒ˘ Installation, Drawings, Printmaking and Book, Kala Institute, Berkeley, CA
1979 * Mixed Media Works, Soker-Kaseman Gallery, San Francisco, CA
1976 * Printmaking, Takamiya Gallery, Osaka, Japan
* Printmaking, Gallery 21, Tokyo, Japan
1975 * Printmaking, Soker-Kaseman Gallery, San Francisco, CA
SELECTED GROUP EXHIBITIONS
2010 * “Print Byte:the cutting edge of printmaking,” SOMART Cultural Center
San Francisco, CA.
2007 * “Cultivating Creativity,” Yerba Buena Center for the Arts, San Francisco, CA.
2006 * Two persons show (painting&print), Triangle Gallery, San Francisco, CA
2005 * Folini Arte Contemporanea, Chiasso, Switzerland
2004 * “Kala in Uzbekistan”, Center of Modern Art, Tashkent, Uzbekistain
2003 * "Mapping the Imagination", The Mathematical Sciences Reserch Institute, Berkeley, Ca
2003 * "Printmaking", San Jose Museum of Art, San Jose, CA
2002 * Artists from Kala Art Institute,íƒ˘ The National Museum of Belarus, Minsk, Belarus.
* Japan show, paintings, Triangle Gallery, San Francisco, CA
* 25th Anniversary Group shows at Works Gallery, San Jose, CA
* "Bay Area Printmakers" San Francisco Museum of Modern Art / Artists Gallery, San Francisco, CA
2000 * High Touch/High Tech Conference and Exhibition at Oakland Museum of California, Oakland, CA and at Kala Art Institute, Berkeley, CA
1998 * The Sixth Annual New York Digital Salon (Travel Exhibition).
- Visual Arts Museum, New York
- Circulo de Bellas Artes, Madrid, Spain
- Triennale di Milano, Milan, Italy.
- Centro de Cultura Contemporanea, Barcelona, Spain.
- Sala de Exposiciones CAM, Alicante, Spain.
1996 * Yerba Buena Center for the Art, San Francisco, CA
* "SoundCulture'96," Digital music and Painting at Works Gallery,San Jose, CA
* Master of the Medium, Printmakers from Kala Institute, San Jose Institute of Contemporary Arts, San Jose, CA
1994-95 * Printmaking Possibilities: A 20-Year Retrospective from the Kala Art Institute at the University of California at Berkeley Museum,ìƒƒBlackhawk, Danville,
1993 * Exchange Show at Atlantic Press, New York, NY
1992 *Exchange Show at Pyramid Press, Washington DC
1988 * 6 From Kala, Painting Exhibition, BONAPARTE, Milan, Italy
1987 * International Invitation Show, Fine Arts Center, Seoul, South Korea
* Contemporary Prints from Kala Institute, Newcastle Regional Art Gallery, Newcastle, Australia
* Impressions by KALA, Gensler & Associates/Architects, San Francisco, CA
1986 * Kala Exchange Trace, Foyer international d'Accueil de Paris, France
* Kala Institute-Exchange-Trace, Ston Gallery, Seattle, Washington
1985 * Chan Elliot Gallery, Sacramento, CA
* Vorpal Gallery, Palo Alto, CA
1984 * California Bay Area Prints, New Mexico University, Silver City, New Mexico
* Small Project Award Winners Show, Inter Arts of Marin, Falkirk Community Cultural Center, San Rafael, CA
* Japan Ima Show, Sesnon Gallery, University of California, Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, CA
* Printmaker Show, Miriam Perlman Gallery, Chicago, IL
* Stage Design and Performance Documentation show, Kala Institute, Berkeley, CA
1983 * Exchange Exhibition of Prints & Drawings, Seoul/San Francisco, Korean Cultural Center, Los Angels, CA
* International Exchange Exhibition of Prints & Drawings,
* Cultural and Arts Foundation Gallery, Seoul, South Korea
1982 * Cabor Frio International Print Biennial íƒÙ82, Cabor Frio, Brazil
* Galerie Autonon, Berlin
* ƒAn Exhibition In Honor of the 25. Anniversary of the University of Michigan, Flint, MI
* ArtistsíƒÙ Book Show, Kala Institute, Berkeley, CA
1981 * The Second Print Biennial of the American Museo Municiple desìƒƒArts Graficas, Maracaibo, Venezuela
* Typographical Printmaking, World Print Council Gallery, San Francisco, CA
* California Printmaking: A Bay Area Perspective, Fort Wayne, IN
1980 * May Members and Advisors Exhibition, Kala Institute, Berkeley, CA
1979 * June Kala Show, Kala Institute, Berkeley, CA
* Four Men Show, Berkeley Art Center, Berkeley, CA
1979 * 13the Internationals Biennial of Graphics Arts, Ljubljana, Yugoslavia
* Triton Museum of Art, Santa Clara, CA
* Hearst Art Gallery, Saint Mary's' College, Moraga, CA
1978 * Japan Print Association Show, Tokyo Metropolitan Museum of Art, Tokyo, Japan
1978 * June Kala Show, Kala Institute, Berkeley, CA
* Print Show, Chaboa College, Hayward, CA
1977 * The Sixth Exhibition of Prints, Sponsored by the Japan Print
* Dealers Association of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
1987-1989 Studied computer graphics & videography - KTVU channel 2, Oakland, CA (Artist-In-Residence)
1980-1986 Studied Computer music, Kala Art Institute, self-taught, Berkeley, CA
1971-1973 Studied printmaking, under Stanley W. Hayter, Atelier 17, Paris, France
1965-1969 Studied painting, Tokyo Gendai Art Institute, Tokyo, Japan.
1974 - present Co-Founder and Co-director of Kala Art Institute, Berkeley, CA.
1993 founder of Kala Multimedia Center (EMC), Berkeley, CA
1993 - Present Computer graphics & web-page design, Kala Media Center, Berkeley,CA
1984 Directed Performance Workshop, Sponsored by California Art Council
1974-1980 Taught printmaking, Kala Art Institute, Berkeley, CA
1975 Taught printmakings, University of California, Davis, CA
LEONARDO < Sixth Annual New York Digital Salon > 1998
Ann Elliott Sherman < Sculpture sound itself at WORKS/San Jose > the April 18-24, 1996 issue of Metro.